Writing robots in Science Fiction is almost a given nowadays. They have become a major element in many books, movies and TV shows. Some are human-like beings that are taking over the world, some are automated, loyal servants, and others are something in between?
There is a huge difference between writing robots in science fiction and robots in real life. There is a tendency for robots in science fiction to be more threatening to human kind. However when examining real life robots this is not the case.
Here Are Five Helpful Websites for Writing Robots in Science Fiction
- Want to know a little more about self-driving cars? Trust and autonomous robots? The videos section on Carnegie Mellon University’s Robotics Institute website provides clear insights into many aspects of robotics and robot design. These help you to incorporate robotics into your sci-fi writing convincingly.
- Gizmag is an online magazine offering emerging tech news. The ‘robotic’ category is brimming with interesting information on the latest in robot design. For example, Cornell University has created a robot barista that ‘learns as it brews’. Tech news stories can inspire you when creating your own SF scenarios.
- The Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers bills itself as the world’s largest professional association for the advancement of technology. The IEEE’s robotics section also provides breaking tech news on drones, vehicle automation, robots and more.
- NASA’s Robotic Alliance Project provides basic information on robots and Artificial Intelligence. Great if you are incorporating such things into your novel.
- PAL Robotics is at the forefront of humanoid robot development, so this website can provide you with inspiration for writing science fiction about humanoid machines.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. You can leave leave a comment here…